Monday, April 1, 2024

Mordheim Witch Hunters - a hobby project

Having limited hobby time, progress is slow and I think it is valuable to make the most out of it.

With this post I want to share my hobby journey to plan, assemble and paint my Witch Hunters Mordheim warband.


Bases

I wanted ruined city-like bases but was not totally sold to 3D-printed or resin options. As I searched the internet for ideas I stumbled across the “sprue cobble stone” concept and decided to give it a go. Search these key words on Google or YouTube and you’ll find many detailed tutorials to refer to.

I think they look great and it is a smart way to recycle waste plastic.



Building

In Mordheim it is undoubtedly important to field strong personality models. Picking the miniatures for the warband and assembling them is a key and rewarding step in the process.

In this case I decided to go for a mix of kitbashes and classic single pose metal miniatures both from Games Workshop and alternative manufacturers. I pushed a little beyond my comfort zone and also added some (basic) green stuff sculpting to make my models more unique.

Loyal to the lore I gave all my witch hunter heroes crossbows, pistols and swords.

Witch hunter captain: I picked Solomon the horror hunter from Grimforge Miniatures, a detailed model with the character of a leader.

Witch hunter #1: mainly Empire militia bits, I added the short cloak from the Skaven Nightrunners box and a sword from Imperial knights.

Witch hunter #2: mainly Empire militia bits, head and torch from Grimforge Miniature. I re-sculpted the crossbow string in un-cocked position and added a strap to shoulder carry the crossbow.


Witch hunter #3: mainly Empire militia bits, head and torch from Grimforge Miniature. I strapped a sword to the back (rule of cool) and I sticked a torch into the ground doing my best at sculpting the flame with green stuff.


Sigmar Priest: Legs and head from Grimforge, arms from White Wolf knights, cloak from Imperial knights and sword from Empire militia. I removed the silly panther-monkey head from the cloak and replaced with green stuff fur.


Zealots: for these I could not help it and I went for the old school Mordeheim models. Possibly the best in the whole range, totally nonsense and grotesque.

Flagellants: I had some 6th edition metal flagellants sitting around and didn’t see a reason not to use them. 


Hounds: Grimforge has two dynamic and expressive dog miniatures, a mastiff and a hound. To being with I am going with them.

Painting

When painting a warband it makes sense to give them a cohesive look. Because of the many torches I took the opportunity to experiment a little with OSL. Not always nailed it but it’s all part of the hobby journey. To make also the models without torches more interesting I added warpstone glow effects.








Next Steps

With this I have enough models to field a starting warband with maxed out heroes and number of warriors, 12 for the Witch Hunters.

As everybody knows, the beauty of Mordheim is the RPG side of developing and expanding your warband. In this regard my plans are to paint 3 more Flagellants (up to the maximum allowed number of 5), get a gaoler, and a couple of sellswords such as an Ogre bodyguard and a halfling scout.

Model wise I am tempted to give HeroForge a chance to get my own unique versions of these models. On the other hand there are so many gorgeous alternatives out there… sometimes also having too many options is a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment